YW8's Mobile Payment Goes Live On 9 March 2002
Singapore, Thu Mar 07 09:29:00 GMT 2002
Mobile Payments with YW8 now available during the trial period, 9 March – 30 September 2002.
Come 9 March 2002 and the public can take a step closer to a wireless lifestyle with YW8's offerings of mobile payments services. Users can register online www.yw8.com.sg for free and start making mobile payments. This pilot run will span across a period of 7 months, from 9 March to 30 September 2002, providing the general public the option to make transactions anywhere, anytime, on their mobile phones.
As one of the four consortia awarded the ‘Wired With Wireless' m-Payment Solutions Call for Collaboration by Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, YW8 is brought to the marketplace by the consortium let by National Computer Systems Pte Ltd (NCS). It comprises seven service providers, namely NCS, Network for Electronic Transfers (NETS), Visa International, DBS Bank the Development Bank of Singapore, SingTel Mobile, MobileOne (Asia) Pte Ltd and StarHub Pte Ltd, and four merchants including Eng Wah Organization, the National University of Singapore, National Library Board and Diethelm Singapore Pte Ltd.
To facilitate the adoption of mobile payments with YW8, there will be various road shows and promotions. Mobile users can look out for instant registration on YW8 and freebies like free movie tickets and gift vouchers. The trial user who records the most mobile transactions during the promotional period will win a Nokia 8310 fashion phone.
The consortium behind YW8 is targeting at recruiting 9,000 users during the trial period. Mobile phone subscribers of SingTel Mobile, MobileOne (M1) or StarHub can enjoy the mobile transactions with YW8 merchants. Users can use Short Messaging Services (SMS) or Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) to:
- Request for movie information, confirm booking of movie tickets and make payment for movies at all Eng Wah Cinemas except Eng Wah Empress
- Pay parking charges at Changi Airport Terminal 2 and Suntec City
- Top up prepaid virtual account from National Library Board (NLB), which can be used for accessing multimedia services and viewing premium content and information like news and journal articles on NLB's eLibraryHub portal
- Check exam results, receive SMS alerts on library fines and pay library fines at the National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Pay another person by debiting his own NETS Virtual Card (VCard) and crediting the payee's VCard, known VCard Person to Person payment service or P2P for short.
The rollout of these services is as follow
- Eng Wah Cinemas services from 9 March
- NUS Library Fine services from mid March
- NLB Top Up services from end March
- P2P payment services from end March
- Car Park payment services by Diethelm from end March
- NUS Exam Results services in April.
First to be rolled out is the Eng Wah Cinemas mobile payment services, followed by NUS. Eng Wah Cinemas now can push out information on available movie tickets, with details on movie title, date, time and venue, to the subscribed users of YW8 via their mobile devices. Eng Wah Cinemas can utilise SMS messages to increase the sales of movie tickets at their cinemas. Users can use their NETS VCard or Visa credit cards to pay for movie tickets. Similarly, NUS users can use their mobile devices to pay for their library fines from mid March onwards. A win-win situation for Eng Wah Cinemas and avid movie-goers, as well as NUS and their library users. A road show in Eng Wah Suntec will be held on 9 and 10 March 2002, from 12 to 8 p.m., where users get to win instant prizes for making transactions on the spot.
Here is one usage scenario via SMS on Eng Wah Cinemas mobile services
- Special movie promotions are sent to subscribers
- User confirms interest to purchase by replying to Eng Wah Cinemas
- Eng Wah Cinemas sends payment request to NETS, who will request UserID from the user
- User sends UserID via SMS to NETS to verify data and processes the payment
- Eng Wah Cinemas sends payment confirmation and ticket booking details to the user
- Eng Wah Cinemas updates Ticketing Systems and the user produces his identity card to collect tickets at the Cinema
The user can also use Eng Wah Cinemas' newspaper advertisements as a reference when requesting for movie tickets. Simply compose a SMS using the movie and cinema codes provided by Eng Wah Cinemas in their advertisements. The third option is a menu driven option where users are able to request for movie information from Eng Wah Cinemas. In this case, Eng Wah Cinemas sends information to the user via SMS, and the user pays as described in the above scenario. The user logs in to www.ewcinemas.com.sg to view data and input information as requested on the mobile device. Browsing movie information via WAP phone is also available at a later date.
With YW8's services, users have a choice of payment mode by NETS VCard or Visa credit card. User must first register with YW8, in which he can store his NETS VCard or Visa credit card payment information. With NETS VCard, the consumer maintains a pre-paid account with NETS and pays out of this account with his YW8 UserID. The consumer who chooses to pay with a Visa credit card will experience enhanced security with Visa Authenticated Payment from May. Using a password, the service will ensure that all parties to the transaction are genuine by verifying their identities. The Visa Authenticated Payment programme is based on Visa's 3-D Secure technology which encrypts and shields sensitive cardholder information from unauthorised viewers. During the trial period, the consortium will continuously collect feedback from users to fine tune the YW8 mobile payment services. All feedback can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The consortium partners are committed to review and optimise the value of the solutions. Also, YW8 mobile users can look out for more offerings and services from additional merchants and the consortium partners.
With YW8 going live on 9 March 2002, mobile users can now embrace the mobile payment experiences with SMS or WAP. Hence YW8's tagline – Why wait? It pays to be MOBILE.
NCS Pte Ltd
DID: +65 6556 5629
NCS is a member of the Singtel Group and the leading information, communications and technology (ICT) service provider with presence in over 20 countries. NCS delivers end-to-end ICT solutions to help governments and enterprises realise business value through digital transformation and the innovative use of technology. Its unique delivery capabilities include consulting, applications development, systems integration, outsourcing, infrastructure management and portal solutions.